Friday, February 20, 2009

Cabbage Leaves for Arthritic Joints

Ever since I had my car accident two years ago, I have been more interested in pain relief. My shoulder and back have given me problems for these past two years, and I have been concerned that it might be the onset of arthritis in my joints because of the scar tissue from the accident. Bromelain capsules and emulsified Omega-3 fish oil have helped to reduce the pain, but I keep looking. Plus, I know people who have problems with arthritis, and I always like to keep an eye out for new things to try.

Here is one solution in The Big Black Book (2006), by Michael Van Straten, ND, DO :

"Cabbage leaves contain powerful anti-inflammatory compounds. Applied to arthritic joints, these compounds are remarkably effective at relieving both pain and swelling.

Arthritis sufferers often rely on over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen (Advil) for relief of their symptoms. But prolonged use of these drugs can cause stomach pain and even bleeding ulcers.

Using cabbage leaves instead helps reduce the amount of medication needed. And cabbage seems to work more effectively than topical creams marketed for arthritis relief.

What do to: Use a rolling pin or kife handle to bruise one or two large, outer dark-green leaves from a head of a green cabbage.

Warm the leaves in a microwave, steamer, or oven, then wrap them around the joint. Cover with a towel. Leave in place for 15 minutes.

The compress should be applied once daily for mild inflammation, two or three times a day for severe inflammation.

Warm cabbage leaves can also be used to curb inflammation resulting from tennis elbow, sprains, or other minor injuries. Apply ice and elevate the injured limb to curb initial swelling. Then apply the cabbage leaf compress two or three times daily until pain and swelling subside."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

ammaka said...

Well, thank you so much for checking out my site! I really enjoy discovering new things and telling others about them.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

"Have you ever considered adding more videos to your weblog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read via the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since I'm a lot more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful. Just my my idea, Good luck "

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I truly love how it’s easy on my eyes and the details are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which ought to do the trick! Have a nice day!

ammaka said...

Another option is to click on the "Subscribe by Email" link toward the bottom, under the visitor counter. :o)